Have you ever had a dream where you were so upset you were sobbing in the dream? I woke up this morning,earlier than usual, because of a dream that ended with gut wrenching tears. It was not a bad dream. It was a simple dream where I was in a race, but I was confused and a step behind everyone else. When I awoke, I was not actually crying…but then it began. I had no idea why I was crying!
Then out of nowhere, I remembered a time when I was in the 4th grade and a teacher accused me of cheating. This interaction took place in front of the whole class, and I was humiliated. When I told her I had not cheated, she did not believe me. I was set aside and made to write an essay about my alleged crime as punishment while everyone else played on the playground. So what did this have to do with anything? I asked God to help me understand why I was crying, and why he reminded me of it. After all, it happened so long ago, and it was no big deal, right? Then God told me he was healing those hurtful words and removing the labels that I HAD BELIEVED. It was the root of me feeling less than and unworthy. People can (and will) say hurtful things about you and try to place labels on you, but you have a choice: to believe or not believe. God was there during those hurtful times, and he has not forgotten you. He wants to heal those painful memories, no matter how small or large they may be.
Words are powerful. What about the words that come out of our mouths? Do they speak God’s truth to who HE says we are? If you remember nothing at from today’s blog, please remember this….You are what God says you are, not what others say you are.
God says you are:
- His child (Galatians 3:6; 1 Corinthians 6:19)
- A Friend (John 15:15)
- Loved, lovable (Romans 5:18; 1:7; Ephesians 2:4; Col. 3:12; 1 Thes. 1:4)
- Forgiven (1 John 1:9)
- Chosen (1 Peter 2:9; Acts 1:8)
- His temple (1 Corinthians 6:19)
- Righteous (Romans 5:17; 2 Corinthians 5:21)
- Beautiful (Psalm 34:5; Proverbs 3:15; Ecclesiastes 3:11)
- Healed (Isaiah 53:5; 1 Peter 2:24)
- Wonderfully and fearfully made (Psalm 139:14)
- Unique (Ephesians 2:10)
- Set apart, special (Ephesians 1:4; 1 Peter 1:6)
- Valuable (Matthew 10:31)
- Called for a higher purpose (Romans 8:28)
- Capable (Philippians 4:13)
- Enough, not lacking, complete (Colossians 2:10)
- Whole (2 Corinthians 5:17)
- Powerful (Mark 16:17-18; Luke 10:17-19)
Prayer: Lord, I know that I am what YOU say I am. Your words are true and you never lie. Help me to speak your promises over my life and to see myself through your eyes. Lord, reveal the lies that have been spoken over me and heal me from the hurt and pain in my past. In Jesus’ name, amen.